When a loved one dies abroad, the stress of bereavement can be made worse when dealing with an unfamiliar process far from home. However, you can contact the British Embassy and they will give you advice.

For information on British Embassy Offices around the world, visit:


Countries differ with the way they deal with a death so please read the information relating to the country the death has taken place in.

A death should be registered in the country where your loved one dies. There is information about registering death on GOV.UK here:


When registering a death in person you will need to take the following information with you:

  • Full Name
  • Date of Birth
  • Passport Number
  • Where and when the passport was issued
  • Details of next of kin

Funeral arrangements

There are different options available to you. You can choose a burial or cremation in the country your loved one died, or you can arrange to repatriate your loved one back to Wales. If you choose to repatriate your loved one, you will need the following documents:

  • A death certificate
  • Authorisation from the British Embassy to remove the body from the country
  • A certificate of embalming

The British Embassy or an international undertaker will help you obtain these documents.


Repatriation costs differ from each country

For a list of International Funeral Directors in the UK, visit: